Sunday, August 22, 2010

Meet AZ Krew bike builder from Kansas and his Double Bubble pedicab

Name:  Pastor Kurt Beard
Atomic Zombie forum name:  Pastor Kurt
Stats:  Married, 14-21 (!)

Location: Gardner, Kansas
Occupation:  Telephone man / Pastor

How did you find Atomic Zombie Extreme Machines? Surfing
In what year did you join the Atomic Zombie Builders Forum?  2009

How would you describe your bike building ability when you first joined?  Newbie, no previous experience
How would you describe your welding ability when you first joined?  Some previous experience
Had you built your own bikes before joining the AZ Krew?  No
Why did you join the Atomic Zombie builders community?  To get ideas and share my creations

What is your favorite type of bike project to build? Tall
Why is this your favorite type of bike?  I love the attention

Which projects have you completed? Tandems, tall, trailers, fun/crazy
Which type of project(s) are you currently working on? Tandems, trailers, fun/crazy
What welding method(s) do you use?  MIG (Metal Inert Gas)

List up to five challenges you faced while working on your projects. Courage, breaking out of a comfort zone that I am no good, learning to smile, learning to laugh, being blinded by smiles

How did you overcome these challenges?  Taking a deep breath, realizing that I am a good person, this was fun, so was this one, putting on sunglasses

What does it mean to you to be a member of the AZ Krew?  Fun
Advice and/or words of wisdom? Don't put you fingers on hot metal

More interesting stuff about you:  I would love to see how to build a bike repair stand. The ones that I have built are just that, previous ones that I have built. I have collected bikes from the different town around Gardner, I repair them and give them out to charities also around here. I have been showing some of the bikes that we have built and are planning on signing up for the different parades.

Most of the time I enjoy seeing the smiles that appear out of nowhere when some one decides to love a bike again. You can also see it in the bikes themselves. They run a little faster, jump a little higher and just prance a little higher. We have set up an Adoption Program where people can adopt a bike and give it a good home. Since Susan and I adopted our three children and we know how much love we have received, we wanted to share this with others. It's kind of neat. God Bless, Pastor Kurt.


That pretty little lady pictured above is my daughter "Madison".  She is riding in "Double Bubble" a pedicab that I built.  I'm the good looking guy doing the grunt labor.  We have been offering $10.00 bikes on Craigslist through my church "Journey for Life Ministry" and have been overwhelmed with people wanting to get back out on the road riding again.

We are rebuilding our web site journeyforlifeministry.org and are going to show pictures of all the people that have adopted our bikes and giving them a better home which also brings smiles to their faces.  I enjoy your newsletters and your books. I got both of the bike books and they sit in a prominent place next to the seat in the library, where I have plenty of time to view the pictures.